I wanted to make this quick post and explain how I have extracted the centerline of a structural column. There are some Dynamo Custom Nodes that do not allow the Physical Column centerline of curve to be extracted.
If you want to extract the centerline of a column then simply follow these 5 steps below.
1. Select the Physical Structural Model
2. Extract the Geometry using the “Element.Geometry” node
3. Place vertices at all column locations
4. Covert all the vertices to points
5. Add the “LineByBestFitThroughtPoints” node to extract the centerline of the column
The image below summarizes this process